Julie Has Lived an Incredible Life

JulieHelmandollar

Julie Helmandollar with her favorite book, Hamlet

Julie Helmandollar has lived an incredible life. She graduated high school with an associate’s degree at age 16. She is now 22 and already has worked as an English professor, taught beginning professors how to teach, and is now the coordinator for SOU’s Tutoring Center, an integral part of the Learning Commons at Hannon Library.

Helmandollar is ready for the new job. “This is kind of my dream job and my dream location,” she explains. “I have a lot of family history and interest in Ashland and the area.” With roots in Ashland extending back to the pioneer era, the Ashland area is close to her heart. Her great-great grandmother’s family traveled the Oregon Trail and settled in Ashland. “So we have family tombstones in the graveyard, and I had a great-great uncle that taught at the university.”

As someone that is finishing up her master thesis in English literature, it’s exciting for her to be in the middle of the culture of Ashland. Helmandollar says, “I’m a big book fanatic, so my perfect day is sitting down with a big book.” She continued, “I specialized in Renaissance literature and drama, which is partially why I’m tied to Ashland.”

Her inner bookworm is thrilled to be at Hannon Library. As her mother put it, “after hours you can play with all the books in the library.”

Julie is truly a motivated, fun, and inspirational worker, and we’re just as thrilled to have her with us.

By Alex Mesadieu

0 replies