April 4 through 10, 2021, is National Library Week, a time to highlight the essential role libraries, librarians and library workers play in transforming lives and strengthening communities. First sponsored in 1958, National Library Week is a national observance sponsored by the American Library Association (ALA) and libraries of all types across the country each April. The theme for this year’s National Library Week is “Welcome to your library,” which promotes the idea that libraries extend far beyond the four walls of a building. This week, Hannon Library encourages all students, faculty, staff, community members and Friends of Hannon Library to explore and access virtual services.
Hannon Library invites its community to observe National Library Week and participate in celebrations throughout the week.
- On Monday, April 5, the State of America’s Libraries Report is released, which includes the Top Ten Frequently Challenged Books of 2020. The books are listed at the bottom of this post, and many are available at Hannon Library.
- Tuesday, April 6, is National Library Workers Day, a day to celebrate the dedication and service of library workers.
- Wednesday, April 7, is National Library Outreach Day, a day to recognize library outreach and library professionals who bring services to those in need.
- Thursday, April 8, is Take Action for Libraries Day, a day to rally advocates to support libraries.
How to Celebrate National Library Week
- For a chance to win a $100 Visa gift card from ALA, share what you love about Hannon Library on Instagram, Twitter, or on the I Love Libraries Facebook page. Use the hashtag #MyLibrary is, and tag Hannon Library (Instagram @SOU_Hannon, Twitter @HanLib, Facebook @HannonLibrary) between April 4 and April 10 at 10 am PT.
- Thank a library worker in person or on social media, or nominate a library worker for the Submit a Star program if you’d like them to be recognized by ALA.
- Visit Hannon Library in person (SOU staff, students, and faculty) or online at hanlib.sou.edu.
- Try your hand at this PDF of the National Library Week Word Search, or unwind with a PDF of the National Library Week Coloring Page (Spanish | English).
- Community members can consider becoming a Friend of Hannon Library.
- Check out one of the Top 10 Frequently Challenged Books of 2020 from Hannon Library.
Top Ten Frequently Challenged Books of 2020
6. Something Happened in Our Town: A Child’s Story About Racial Injustice by Marianne Celano, Marietta Collins, and Ann Hazzard, illustrated by Jennifer Zivoin